Go Back   bfenthusiasts | Forums > General Discussions > Open House Chatter

Open House Chatter All discussions not directly related to ferries and their operators should be posted here.

Old 27th Dec 11, 07:42   #1
Khaines
BFE Member

Default How do on board life rafts work?

After watching Titanic last night for the umpteenth time, it reminded me of something I've often wondered. How do those white barrels that are seen on board work, and how many people can they carry?

Not unduly worried or panicking or anything just often been curious but never got round to asking. How many do the orange boats carry too?

Cheers

Barfleur - great things come in small packages
Old 27th Dec 11, 10:43   #2
JABBY
BFE Member

Default Re: How do on board life rafts work?

I don't know about the white barrels, but the solid orange lifeboats have the capacity written on them, clearly visible. All you have to do is walk around the deck and have a look

cheers
John
Old 27th Dec 11, 11:03   #3
veryoldbear
BFE Member

The white barrels contain an inflatable liferaft. They are triggered either by a lanyard or by a hydrostatic release that kicks in when it gets in the water. The inflating raft pushes the shell apart and it blows up into a big blobby wobbly life raft that might take 50+ people. They have a canopy over the top, and contain useful things like water supplies, flares etc etc.
Old 27th Dec 11, 13:09   #4
Khaines
BFE Member

Thanks, Jabby and VOB.

I remembered something about the orange boats having capacity written on them, thought this after posting as I had a gander at Barfleur's while out on deck - and have a pic somewhere. Just something that memory has filtered out!!

Those white barrels look so small, amazing what they can turn into given the circumstances should it - hopefully not - arise.

Thanks again for your replies.

Old 27th Dec 11, 13:47   #5
kenw
BFE Member

The "white barrels" do indeed contain inflatable liferafts with hydrostatic releases.

The goal for emergency disembarkation from passenger ships is "dry shod evacuation" - in other words you must be able to transfer from the ship to the rescue craft without getting your feet wet.

So the liferaft hits the water, the trigger [line or hydrostatic] inflates it, and the crew then hold it alongside the exit while the passengers load.

Different from the traditional "ship's lifeboat" which loads from the boat deck and is then lowered into the water.

In addition to lifeboats, there are several other systems for dryshod evacuaton at sea, many involving integrated liferafts and chutes.

Now the latest Regs for coastal and river boats published by the Maritime & Coastguard Agency [MSN 1823, October 2010 for those interested] bring the dry shod rule to the River Thames and similar "categorised waters" such as Bembridge - Needles.
Old 27th Dec 11, 14:20   #6
Abbotsman
BFE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaines View Post
After watching Titanic last night for the umpteenth time
Funny but when I read the title I kind of thought this might be in some kind of way related to the Titanic .

I never get bored of watching this film and always seem to spot something I had not noticed or seen before. I regret never seeing it on the big screen at the cinema.

I have recently bought, (but not yet watched), a copy of the 1958 film 'A Night To Remember' judged to be the most factualy accurate film of Titanic. Will be interesting to see how events were portrayed back then.
Old 27th Dec 11, 15:02   #7
smartie
BFE Member

The large lifeboats have a capacity of 150 people. I believe the life rafts have, but I stand to be corrected, a capacity of 25. Oh and I prefer the film "A night to remember" less "Hollywood"....

BF and Pont-Aven from/to Plymouth still the fastest way to sail to Spain! I don't "skinny dip" I "chunky dunk"!
Old 27th Dec 11, 15:13   #8
Khaines
BFE Member

I always enjoy watching the film, never get bored, same things always bring a lump in my throat - unusual for me as I do not usually get emotional at films! I too notice things I hadn't spotted before. Last night was trying to work out the censored bits as it was on at family viewing time!

Night to remember - excellent too, seen that a few years ago.

Old 27th Dec 11, 15:47   #9
adicat
BFE Member

100 years ago next year re Titanic sinking.
Old 27th Dec 11, 17:27   #10
Khaines
BFE Member

Planning to go to Cherbourg's exhibition next year - how I don't know at present, and we know why, but I think it is going to be excellent, looking forward to it, however I get there.

Tags
board, life, rafts, work