Go Back   bfenthusiasts | Forums > Brittany Ferries Forums > Q & A

Q & A Ask questions about Brittany Ferries, their ships, routes, ports and foreign travel in general.

Old 1st Mar 13, 11:17   #1
Khaines
BFE Member

Default Eleis shopping centre, Cherbourg?

Advert in Echo for the re-established route, there is mention of a 'futuristic' shopping centre near the port called Eleis. From what I gather from googling it is where Carrefoure is - and only opened this year - but Carrefour hasn't!!

So wondered if anyone has been there, and wondered what it is like. Seems to be on the Carrefour site, not sure, anyone know anything here?

Cannot find anything on the Echo site so can't provide a link!

Barfleur - great things come in small packages
Old 1st Mar 13, 11:52   #2
Jim
BFE Staff

Default Re: Eleis shopping centre, Cherbourg?

It looks to be that it's some kind of tarting up surrounding Carrefour that's set to open in mid-April/May.

A list of shops is at: http://centre-commercial-eleis.dans-...html#enseignes
Old 1st Mar 13, 13:33   #3
Khaines
BFE Member

Thanks, Jim

Looks quite pleasant.

Old 1st Mar 13, 15:14   #4
rogerpatenall
BFE Member

I am not sure whether the look is quite pleasant or not, Brigitte - certainly not when driving by. From the outside it looks like a rather uninspiring, huge, corrugated iron ('bac acier') industrial building. The walls as well as the roof.
Already it is noticeable that some of the future tenants have closed their shops in the traditional centre of Cherbourg. If Eleis is a commercial disaster, I hope that that is apparent before it totally rips the heart out of the town. If it is a success, then I suppose that the people of Cherbourg will have spoken for what they want, the consequence of which is a wasteland city centre and there is nothing to be done about it. . .

Over the years, on this forum and elsewhere, observers have drawn attention to the negativity of the local authorities. Air France's plan to use the airport and its long runway for a major training base was aborted because of the public reaction. The port has lost enormous amounts of commercial freight business because of public opinion, the demands of the Syndicats and apathy. The number of cruise liner calls reduces year on year, mostly.
The wonderful town centre location of the old terminal building and the NEX berth is completely wasted as footies are bussed to the 'new' terminal a mile further away from the centre, and left to their own devices to reach the shops and restaurants. Car passengers are led to the far side of town and then up a hugely expensive new dual carriageway road so that they are not encouraged to visit and spend. Four kms of dual carriageway that are of no practical use to anyone other than those catching the handful of half empty ferries that deign to call occasionally.
OK - there are a couple of positives. The Cite de la Mer being one, and the wonderful restoration of the inside of the Italian Theatre (not that the town had much to do with the latter). And we await the re opening of the art gallery. But Elies could well be a monster negative to wipe that all out. I hope I am wrong.

RogerP
Old 1st Mar 13, 15:37   #5
Khaines
BFE Member

I wasn't necessarily meaning the outside that looks nice, Roger, I was meaning more of the interior pics in the link Jim provided. Exterior wise, so-so, but will have a walk around when I go over, but it isn't that bad, like to keep an open mind, me!!

Old 2nd Mar 13, 12:28   #6
Hawser Trunnion
BFE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpatenall View Post
I am not sure whether the look is quite pleasant or not, Brigitte - certainly not when driving by. From the outside it looks like a rather uninspiring, huge, corrugated iron ('bac acier') industrial building. The walls as well as the roof.
Already it is noticeable that some of the future tenants have closed their shops in the traditional centre of Cherbourg. If Eleis is a commercial disaster, I hope that that is apparent before it totally rips the heart out of the town. If it is a success, then I suppose that the people of Cherbourg will have spoken for what they want, the consequence of which is a wasteland city centre and there is nothing to be done about it. . .

Over the years, on this forum and elsewhere, observers have drawn attention to the negativity of the local authorities. Air France's plan to use the airport and its long runway for a major training base was aborted because of the public reaction. The port has lost enormous amounts of commercial freight business because of public opinion, the demands of the Syndicats and apathy. The number of cruise liner calls reduces year on year, mostly.
The wonderful town centre location of the old terminal building and the NEX berth is completely wasted as footies are bussed to the 'new' terminal a mile further away from the centre, and left to their own devices to reach the shops and restaurants. Car passengers are led to the far side of town and then up a hugely expensive new dual carriageway road so that they are not encouraged to visit and spend. Four kms of dual carriageway that are of no practical use to anyone other than those catching the handful of half empty ferries that deign to call occasionally.
OK - there are a couple of positives. The Cite de la Mer being one, and the wonderful restoration of the inside of the Italian Theatre (not that the town had much to do with the latter). And we await the re opening of the art gallery. But Elies could well be a monster negative to wipe that all out. I hope I am wrong.

How different is this new Carrefour and associated galerie marchande from what was there before? I was under the impression from the websites of local newspapers that Carrefour had been planning something like this ever since they took over from Le Continent and was part of what was described as "supermarket wars". There are a number of supermarkets in the Cherbourg-Octeville area all vying for custom and these makeovers are in pursuit of that aim. I believe the Leclerc in the Rue Amiral Lemonnier (is it?) to the east of the Carrefour has undergone significant improvements and then, of course, there is the Auchan hypermarket at La Glacerie on the outskirts. Obviously if you have a car you can visit all these places. The attraction of the Carrefour (previously Le Continent) is that it is the closest supermarket to the ferry terminal and is walkable.

Of course it was even easier when it was the original terminal building alongside Passerelle 6 used by NEx, amongst other vessels. I believe BF have suggested to the Cherbourg port authorities that they re-open this facility for daytrippers. While a nice building the new terminal is further away from the town centre. As I may have mentioned previously Cherbourg regulars on foot don't follow the railway line round but cross over the main road outside the terminal and go down a narrow street by the side of CMN called the Rue de la Bretonniere to the junction with the Rue de Val de Saire and turn right there and go along this road past the hospital and over the old N13 to the railway level crossing and turn left there for Carrefour or go straight ahead for the town centre. A street plan would be helpful. I have seen them online.

Cherbourg port's commercial policy in relation to the ferries may be conditioned by their relationship with BF, which may be an uneasy one. Maybe they think -- like a local newspaper -- that BF's policy in relation to Cherbourg is hard to understand proceeding, as the paper suggests, by a series of "touches et experimentations", loosely translated as a series of tamperings with and experiments. Let's hope this latest tampering with and experiment with BARFLEUR lasts for some time. At least NEx hasn't gone away entirely. They'll be a daily call with the chance of a daytrip on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays, allbeit for a shorter overall season.
Old 2nd Mar 13, 14:38   #7
Khaines
BFE Member

I tend to come out of the terminal, go through that little gate onto the main road, the pootle along and turn left at Ave. Aristide Briand, then cross the bridge or carry on down Ave Carnot to MacD's for me cuppa.

Or walk along round to Cite De La Mer to their caff. This year Barf will arrive lunchtime, so be a nice croque monsieur in one of the nice places in town.

Hope that English chap's snack caravan is in the terminal car park, bacon butty time while waiting for the return journey....

Old 2nd Mar 13, 18:50   #8
rogerpatenall
BFE Member

Red face Re: Eleis shopping centre, Cherbourg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawser Trunnion View Post
How different is this new Carrefour and associated galerie marchande from what was there before?
Well, HT. I would be the first to admit that the old Continent / Carrefour building was of no great beauty nor architectural merit. The new shed is at least three times the size - probably more because it extends over where the petrol station used to be and it includes significant covered parking. Whilst French concrete (and any concrete, I suppose) has the ability to quickly look dirty and unkempt, I would venture that the old building had more character than the new. That is a purely subjective and personal view. The new building has one or two nice lines to the silhouette and shape, but, to the onlooker from the outside, it remains just a shed built of bac acier, roughly what we would call corrugated iron.
It never crossed my mind to take any photos, maybe when I return - and then only if I am sure that no one who knows me can see that I am taking a photo of it . . .

RogerP
Old 2nd Mar 13, 18:55   #9
Craig
BFE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawser Trunnion View Post

Cherbourg port's commercial policy in relation to the ferries may be conditioned by their relationship with BF, which may be an uneasy one. Maybe they think -- like a local newspaper -- that BF's policy in relation to Cherbourg is hard to understand proceeding, as the paper suggests, by a series of "touches et experimentations", loosely translated as a series of tamperings with and experiments.
Their policy should be focused on making up for the passenger terminal (vanity project) that only briefly got used to it's full potential when the likes of IF and P&O served the port. BF never generated a lot of foot passenger traffic. They would be better off funding a decent free shuttle in to town, if indeed there was a need. Given that BF / Truckline have served the port continuously since the early 70's in one way or the other, I don't think their commitment is in question. The question is how the route can be maintained or developed - something that all ports and regions should be doing. Only recently, the tourist board in Cherbourg was trumpeting the fact that they had translated some literature in to English. Really ??

I may not agree with me either - it's all about the debate !
Old 2nd Mar 13, 19:05   #10
rogerpatenall
BFE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
T Only recently, the tourist board in Cherbourg was trumpeting the fact that they had translated some literature in to English. Really ??
Says it all, Craig. There seems to be a weariness and malaise of inertia that has crept over much of the Cotentin, its towns and cantons over the last 10 years. What we see of the CCI and the port of Cherbourg is just a reflection and is symptomatic of what is happening everywhere.

And yet, its beaches, monuments,and many restaurants still make a fantastic offering to the traveller and tourist, but is the welcome really there?

RogerP

Tags
centre, cherbourg, eleis, shopping